What we're doing
At the IUCN World Parks Congress 2014 we’re striving to conserve resources, produce minimal waste and use materials with a great backstory that’s green, safe and fair. We work with our partners, sponsors, venue, exhibitors and professional conference organisers to meet our purchasing and event production commitments.
The first things we did were to:
- Choose a sustainably built and operated venue at Sydney Olympic Park
- Contract a professional conference organiser tuned into sustainable event production
- Engage a sustainability expert GreenShoot Pacific to offer guidance and oversight
- Select an exhibition company with a strong sustainability policy
From there, we worked together to identify potential challenges and created a suite of initiatives, including;
- Being energy efficient and conserving energy through using low wattage stage and exhibitor lighting
- Using 100% renewable energy through purchasing GreenPower
- Maximising recovery of waste resources and maximising diversion of waste from landfill
- Efficient use of water and avoidance of water-intensive event activities
- Minimising transport-related impacts on the environment and communities
- Minimising and compensating for the GHGs produced by our event
- Sustainable sourcing of materials and supplies from event theming and collateral to catering, giveaways and merchandise
- Recommending accommodation options with sustainability policy and initiatives
- Working with exhibitors and caterers to source supplies and operate their stalls sustainably.
- Meeting international standard in Event Sustainability Management We have managed the production of IUCN World Parks Congress 2014 in compliance with the international standard ISO 20121: Event Sustainability Management Systems. Managing in accordance with the requirements of this standard allows us to leave a lasting legacy of knowledge and systems for managing sustainability at future events by the IUCN.
Read our sustainability policy:
We have developed an Event Sustainability Policy, which details more of our commitments and guides our purchasing and event design decisions. Download the Congress Sustainability Policy.